Legend of Thien Mu Pagoda
Legend has it that when Nguyen Hoang came to Thuận Hóa. He has personally examined the terrain here in preparation for his attempt to open up the business. Construction of the giang painting for Nguyen family later. In a horseback rides along the Perfume River back upstream. He encountered a small hill emerging from the blue water meandering. Earth like a dragon looking back. Asked to know, this hill is called Ha Khe hill.
Local people said that at night there was an old lady in red dress appearing on the hill. She told people, “Then there will be a godfather to set up the temple to the spirit, gas durability, for the mighty South. Therefore, this place is also called Thien Mu Son (Thien Mu Mountain). The great thought of Lord Nguyen Hoang seems to be in harmony with the will of the people. He set up a temple on the hill, turned to the Perfume River, named “Thien Mu” (Thien Mu Pagoda).
History of Thien Mu Mu
In fact, there existed a Cham temple – a relic mentioned in Duong Van An’s Near-Death book in 1553. But it was not until 1601, with the decision of Lord Nguyen Hoang, Newly built. Following the development and flourishing of Buddhism in Dang Trong. The pagoda was rebuilt in a larger scale under the reign of Nguyen Phuc Chu (1691-1725). In 1710, God gave a large bell with an inscription on it.
In 1714, God restored the pagoda with dozens of architectural works of great scale such as Thien Vuong, Dai Hung, French lecture, Tang Kinh, Tang room, Meditation house … Many projects in That number is no longer present. He also wrote his own inscription on the construction of buildings here. Praising the philosophy of Buddhism, the record of the Venerable Thach Liem – who made great contribution to helping the Nguyen Kingdom to restore Buddhism in Cochinchina. The beer is placed on the back of a large stone turtle, decorated simple but beautiful.
The prosperous period of Thien Mu Pagoda
With its magnificent scale and natural beauty, right from that time, Thien Mu Pagoda became the most beautiful temple in Dang Trong. Experiencing historical events, Thien Mu pagoda was used as an Ethnology under the Tay Son Dynasty (circa 1788). Then restored many times under the Nguyen Dynasty. In 1844, on the occasion of the “eight-thirteenth birthday” of Thuan Thien Cao Empress (wife of King Gia Long, grandmother of King Thieu Tri). King Thieu Tri rebuilt the temple in a more modest way: built the tower of Tu Nhan (later changed Phuoc Duyen), Huong Nguyen Temple and set up two stela records the poetry of the king.
Phuoc Duyen Tower is a famous symbol associated with Thien Mu Pagoda. 21m high tower, seven floors, built in front of the temple. Each tower has a statue of Buddha. Inside there is a spiral staircase leading up to the top floor, where the former Buddha statue in gold. In front of the tower is Huong Nguyen Temple.
Thien Mu Pagoda – Hue Historical Site – Vietnam
Thien Mu Pagoda was ranked in the Twentieth Land of Neuroscience with the poem “Thiên Mụ thanh thanh” written by Thiệu himself. And it was inscribed on a stone tablet near the gate of the temple. In 1862, under the reign of King Tu Duc, to pray for children to follow. The king is afraid of the word “Thien” to Heaven should be changed from “Thien Mu” to “Linh Mu” (Holy Lady). Until 1869, the king re-used the name Thien Mu as before. Therefore, in the folklore people still use both names when referring to this temple.
The Artistic Value of Thien Mu Pagoda
The terrible storm of 1904 devastated the temple. Many damaged buildings, in which Huong Nguyen Temple was completely collapsed. Through many restoration large and small, in addition to architectural works such as Phuoc Duyen tower, Dai Hung power, electrophotography, Quan Am power … with stone beer, bronze bell. Thien Mu pagoda today also has many precious objects not only in history but also in art. The statue of the Dharma protectors, the statue of the Buddha, Maitreya Buddha statue, Tam The Buddha … Or the horizontal, the sentence here all mark the golden age of Thien Mu Pagoda.
On the grounds of the temple is a garden of flowers are cultivated daily cultivated. There, the peninsula of the Vietnamese opera teacher Dao Tan was placed near the car – relics of the late monk Thich Quang Duc left before setting fire to self-immolation to protest the policy of suppressing Buddhism. of Ngô Đình Di0m’s regime in 1963. At the end of the garden was the tomb of the late Venerable Thich Don Hau, the famous abbot of Thien Mu pagoda, who devoted his life to charitable activities helping the world. .
Situated on the banks of the romantic Perfume River of the Central, Thien Mu Pagoda with ancient architecture has contributed to the painting of this natural place more charming, poetic. The bell of the pagoda as the soul of Hue, echoing through the flow of the Huong River flowing in front of the Citadel, down to the sea gate, deposited in the heart of Hue to a distant place to meditate.